Tuesday, December 16, 2008

15. mercy waltz

this is the other song i wrote last night. it is evident, at least to myself, that i am trying to be leonard cohen. oh well. i had a few of the lines in my head already (PERHAPS YOU CAN GUESS WHICH) but it's mostly from scratch.

man my songs lately have been pretty sad! sometimes it's easier to write sad songs when you are in a good mood. i've been in a pretty good mood.

15. mercy waltz
a mirror, a glass house, a hair in a locket
the blame in your voice and the shame near your pocket
the albums of pictures that you never showed me
oh great, oh merciful; you don't want to know me

the flowers are growing
and my heart has slowed
to a waltz

the death lilies tower, their bile green and white
marks three hundred and sixty six days to the night
that we stared at each other and saw that we knew:
oh great, oh merciful; this theatre was through

so we turned the last page
and i skidded in socks
on the stage

an angel, an earwig, an erogenous region
a lantern, a lover, a weeping white lesion
rode in on a lamb and rode out as a lion
my fists tight as eight-balls, my nostrils defiant

you knotted yourself and i tried to undo you
but i was too knotted to ever unglue you
i'm sorry, i'm sorry, i never saw through you
oh great, oh merciful: i'm sorry i knew you

we waltzed in your kitchen: my eyes shut, i still sensed
your fierce set of steakknives was glinting with glee
i'm riding a bike on a thin sheet of plastic
that is tied to the corners of a roiling black sea.


love love love
lion

No comments: