Monday, December 22, 2008

17. potluck suburban santa

hello gang! (i don't know why i just said that)

this weekend's task was to finish off my gift for the inaugural "shitty santa" gift exchange. the idea of the shitty santa exchange was, as you may have ascertained, to give a gift that was both hilarious and shit. my shitty santa gift was a short "erotic" story about my friend jenny and her poor boyfriend sam, who probably never expected to be the subject of such a piece.

i drew a wonderful cover for the book and handwrote the text and sewed together the spine. it looked terrible, but that was the spirit of shitty santa! we also had a seriously tasty potluck dinner. who ever knew my friends were so great at cooking stuff? so i made a pot of chunky chickpea soup with herb dumplings, it is one of my favourite things to cook. the dumplings are made with self-raising flour so they cook right in the soup.

the theme of the evening was "a very suburban christmas" so i wore a shirt that my friend tom bought for me in sydney. it is oversized and white with fluoro illustrations and says "SYDNEY" on it, a real investment piece.

i meant to take photos but i forgot, however LUCKY FOR YOU there might have been a picture or two taken on the night, which may or may not be posted at a later date.

i received a lonely planet travel journal (from my secret santa) and a squeaky toy shaped like a piece of steak (from my shitty santa). thanks so much you guys!

i'm going down south over christmas for a couple of days. i'm not taking my guitar because it's missing a couple of machine heads, so i can't really write any songs, but i'm hoping that i can at least get down some lyrics or draw some pictures or something.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sam was bemused... but also amused.

secret santa photos will be coming to a Flickr near you probably tomorrow afternoon!